Syllabus

Physics I Syllabus

Fall Term 2015-2016

 

Instructor:Alexis Pena

Room:225

Phone: 271-1600 ext

 

Conference Period: Fall- 1stSpring-2nd

Email:alexispena@sharylandisd.org

Tutoring: Monday- Friday 7:00-8:00 A.M

 

 

Course Description: This is a 1st year general physics course and will include the topics of kinematics, force & motion, energy, momentum, heat, thermodynamics, light, sound, electricity, magnetism, electromagnetism, and modern physics concepts.

 

Course Pre-requisite: Algebra I

 

Course Information: The course is an algebra-based physics and use of math is required. The student must have pencils or pens, a scientific calculator, (a TI-30 is more than adequate), and notebook (spiral). Occasionally, the teacher will provide all lab elements; therefore, not all labs will be formally written up. 

 

Course Outline: Instructional days will include checking/reviewing assignments, quizzes, writing assignments, lecture/explanation, lab activities and individual practice/questions/feedback.  

 

Textbook and Resources: Texas Physics by Serway & Faughn, science/technology-based videos and documentaries, internet, scientific periodicals, newspapers, and other relevant media.

 

Instructional Procedures and Support: The teacher will be available for tutoring before and after school. It is the student’s responsibility to ask for help when needed and for making the required transportation arrangements. Retesting will be available in accordance with SISD High School Grading Policies. 

 

Classroom Management Procedures: District Policy Will Be Enforced!

 

Classroom Expectations: 

As per district policy major exams/assignments will account for 60% of the student’s grade. Labs (reports), quizzes, and home/class work will account for the remaining 40%. All students will be given up to 3 additional school days to redo a failing major assignment, but the grade will be no higher than a 70. All students will be given 3 additional days to make up a major assignment if late (with a progressive grade penalty of 10 points per day).

 

Statement for Academic Dishonesty

Academic integrity is fundamental to the activities and principles of our school. No student shall cheat or copy the work of another. Plagiarism, the use of another person’s original ideas or writing as one’s own without giving credit to the true author, will be considered cheating, and the student will be subject to academic discipline that may include loss of credit for the work in question.


Course Schedule: Time in each unit will vary

                                     Topic  

Unit 1    

 

Review Week: Sig Figs, Accuracy Precision, Equation Solving, 08-26-13                                                Rounding, Scientific Notation, and Scales. 

Construct/Interpret graphs; calculate displacement, velocity and acceleration in 1-Dimension. 

Scalar vs. Vector; Calculate displacement, velocity and acceleration in 2-Dimensions. 

Forces; Calculate net external force, acceleration and mass of an object; Newton’s Laws. 

Finish Newton’s Laws; calculate tangential

Velocity, centripetal acceleration and force that

maintains circular motion.

Unit 2

Static vs. Current Electricity; Calculate electric force, current, potential difference and resistance. 

 

Series vs. Parallel Circuits; Complex circuits; calculate current, potential difference and resistance.

Fundamental forces, magnetic field lines; Calculate work, KE, and PE. 

Semester Exam Review

 

Unit 3

Conservation of Mechanical Energy, Momentum, Impulse

Momentum Theorem

 

Elastic vs. Inelastic collisions, Temperature, Specific Heat,

                                 Conduction, Convection, Radiation.

Unit 4

Mechanical Waves – Sound waves

 

Reflection, refraction, diffraction, interference, resonance, Doppler Effect, Thin Lens equation

 

Duality of Light, Photoelectric Effect

                 

                                  Work on Group Presentations