work should illuminate the essential connection between social studies
learning, democratic values, and positive citizenship. As a people,
then, our first priority, is to ensure our survival as a free nation
through the development of students who can assume the office of
citizen. And so each and every social studies educator must be willing
and able to give birth again to the American dream; in each new
generation; in each new child."
Social Studies Department has a firm commitment to the ideal that the
role of the social studies teacher is to extend the promise of full
scholarship and citizenship to each and every person in the United
States. The central focus of this goal is the design and implementation
of social studies education as a liberating force in the life of every
achieve such a vision of social studies, we must insure that students
become intimately acquainted with scholarship, artisanship, leadership,
and citizenship. These mutually inclusive attributes are the hallmark of
excellence in social studies--a program where students will gain the
necessary knowledge, skills, and attitudes to understand, respect, and
practice the ways of the scholar, the artisan, and the citizen.
exemplary social studies education aspires to nurture the growth of
human talent. The scholars, artisans, and citizens which we aspire to
shape should exhibit the following talents in pursuit of this service:
- They listen and learn.
- They read and understand.
- They can talk appropriately with anyone.
- They can write clearly and persuasively and movingly.
- They can solve a wide variety of puzzles and problems.
- They respect rigor not so much for its own sake but as a way of seeking truth.
- They practice humility, respect, and self-criticism.
- They understand how to get things done in the world.
- They nurture and empower the people around them.
- They connect.